There is nothing like warm, buttermilk cornbread pulled out of the oven on a cold day. Would it be possible in the crock pot? I decided to experiment.
Makes about 18 unevenly cut squares. Cooks in 2 to 3 hours.
What you’ll need:
2 and 1/2 cups yellow plain corn meal made with whole grain corn
1 and 1/2 cups skim milk
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup olive oil
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 and 1/4 cups buttermilk
How to make it:
1. Combine the first four ingredients along with two lightly beaten eggs, to make your own self-rising cornmeal mix.
2. Combine the cornmeal mix, whole wheat flour and sugar in a bowl.
3. Mix buttermilk and last two eggs together in a separate bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry. Let’s see just how many bowls we can use, yeah?
4. Pour olive oil directly into the crock pot, using a spatula to remove from measuring cup. (You’re going to need every last drop!)
5. Pour batter directly over olive oil. The oil will ooze and flow over some of the batter.
6. GENTLY use spatula and even the olive oil over the entire amount of batter so that batter is completely covered with a light sheath of oil. This will keep the cornbread from burning and will make it nice and moist.
7. Cook on LOW for 2 to 3 hours, depending on your crock pot. (This one you will need to check on occasionally since it’s bread and easier to burn.) If oil puddles on the top, scoop it out with a spoon and drizzle over the rest of the cornbread. When an inserted knife comes out clean, it’s done.
Though it resulted in a golden crust, and the cornbread was moist, the oven wins on this one. The crock pot tends to dry it out a little, even with the 1/3 cup olive oil. Ah, but we did eat it all as a side with black bean and corn chili which I’ll post soon. No complaints from the husband. Aha! My experiment succeeded. It can be done. (Expect to soak the crock in order to clean it. The cornbread edging remained stuck like glue, refusing to come off no matter how I begged with my fingernails.)
- Crock Pots to the Rescue! (oceanfulloflemons.wordpress.com)
- Carrot cake in the crock pot (gicrockpot.wordpress.com)
- Cheddar and Green Onion Cornbread (nancycreative.wordpress.com)