Okay. I’ll admit it. Little Miss Can’t-Follow-Directions (that would be me) changed grandma’s recipe a bit while trying to “healthify” it. Grandma got it from Kellogg’s, but I didn’t even use anything Kellogg’s. Maybe next time, grandma…
Makes 12 small muffins. Cooks 25 minutes at 400 degrees.
What you’ll need:
1 cup Multi-grain hot cereal (I used Hodgson Mill’s Multi-grain with milled flaxseed and Soy).
3/4 cup 2% milk
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
a little less than 1/3 cup honey
3 tablespoons milled flax-seed
1 tablespoon cold-pressed olive oil
How to make it:
1. Combine the cereal and milk in mixing bowl.
2. Mix flour, baking powder and salt; add to soaked cereal along with honey, egg, flax-seed and oil. Stir only until combined.
3. Fill olive-oiled greased muffin pans and bake in pre-heated oven at 400 degrees F. about 25 minutes.
Delicious! I thought they were just a tad dry, most likely due to the milled flax-seed I used instead of oil. That’s fixable. Moist on the inside. Not too sweet. Tasted just like something my grandmother would have made. Next time, I’ll double batch it! Heck, next time, I’ll probably follow her recipe…
The most creative muffins recipes I’ve seen yet :
- The failed cookie experiment I turned into cereal. (militaryzerowaste.wordpress.com)
- Recipe – Blueberry Flax Seed Muffins (salubriousuk.wordpress.com)
- Best Chiquita Banana Honey Pecan Muffins Recipe (chiquitabananas.com)
- Strawberry Muffins (youngsblog.com)
- Passionfruit, blueberry and yoghurt muffins (wholesomecook.wordpress.com)
- No Fail Banana Muffins (diligenthousewife.wordpress.com)
- Spelt Bran Muffins! (shortshoestring.wordpress.com)
- Apple Cinnamon Goat Cheese Muffins (mysaucyself.wordpress.com)
- Recipe Makeover: Whole-Grain Chocolate Chip-Coffee Muffins (eating.health.com)